These are Flow Templates with the purpose of updating Referral(s) when the parent Opportunity changes or updating the Opportunity when its child Referral changes—all to keep data between records in sync.
1. Update Referral from Opportunity Flow Template (Mandatory)
OOTB this flow updates the Close Date and Sales Stage fields on all Referrals (which are NOT “Declined”) whenever Close Date or Stage changes on their parent Opportunity. Extend it (and also maybe the Update Referral from Opportunity Flow Template if you want more Opportunity field updates to be synced down to the Referral level.
2. Update Referral when linking Opportunity Flow Template (Mandatory)
OOTB this flow updates the Close Date and Sales Stage fields on one Referral to match Close Date and Stage values from its parent Opportunity whenever this Referral is linked (or re-linked, which you shouldn’t really be doing) to this Opportunity.
1. Let’s say an AE has an Incoming Referral with a Closed Date = 12/12/2030, and they want to link it to an Opportunity with a Closed Date = 1/1/2022. So they select the Opportunity and click the Link button.
2. If the default Field Mapping is intact, then in the opened Edit Referral modal, AE will see the Closed Date change to 1/1/2022 (because it’s pulled from the Opportunity). If the default Field Mapping is removed, then AE will see Closed Date = 12/12/2030 and skip right to step 4.
3. Let’s say AE changes the Closed Date back to 12/12/2030.
4. AE clicks Save.
5. After the page refreshes, AE will see that the Closed Date is 1/1/2022.
It happens because the Flow update runs last, pushing the value from Opportunity to Referral again after the manual change. This means that you can’t have a discrepancy in the synced fields between Opportunity and Referral. This is the business goal of having this Flow in the first place, so that’s good. Unfortunately, the AE is not informed that there is no point in editing the fields that are kept in sync by the Flow because, in the end, the Opportunity’s value will always prevail.
But Field Mapping is not applied when you create a new Opportunity. It’s also not possible to fit this use case under the Update Referral from Opportunity Flow Template because it has a different entry trigger—that’s why a separate Flow Template is required.
Extend this Flow Template (and also maybe the Update Referral from Opportunity Flow Template if you want more Opportunity field updates to be synced down to the Referral level when creating Opportunity from Referral.
3. Update Opportunity from Referral Flow Template (Optional)
OOTB this flow updates the Next Step field on the Opportunity whenever it changes on its child Referral. Extend it if you want more Referral field updates to be synced up to the Opportunity level.
4. Alternative option of handling the closed lost AWS Referrals
Beware that this will result in NO fields being copied when Opp is in the ‘Closed Won’ or ‘Closed Lost’ Stage.
Know more about the Flow Template extension example and Flow templates to auto-create Referral from Opportunity.